Monday, February 20, 2012

Being happy with what you have...

Lately I've been putting a lot of thought into the odd tendency that we humans have to always want more. WHY is it so difficult for us to live simply, and be happy with what we have?
Time and time again, I remind myself that I do have everything I need to live a happy life. I live in a warm (or cool), lovely home, I have a lovely new-ish car, a loving husband who works hard, and 3 beautiful children. We usually have enough extra finances for treats like meals out and the like. I have friends that make me happy and the luxuries of a smart phone, PC, laptop, Blu-Ray player, etc. We actually have quite a bit more than we need. So I remind myself of that often. And I vow to commit to not buying any "extras" for a while, eat less meals out, and make do with all that we already have, and quit being wasteful. To put that money aside for a "rainy day".
And then I get an overwhelming urge to "treat" myself or one of the kids to a new outfit, or a new toy, or a new movie. Or there's a pair of shoes that I just can't get out of my head. Or a bauble that I can't resist as I'm passing by somewhere, or a gift I need to buy someone else "just because". So I come up with some absurd justification as to why I should buy the item.
In the month of March, I am going to make a goal to absolutely simplify in our household. Take out meals and dining out meals kept as few as possible. No new purchases that aren't necessary (toys, clothes, etc.). No impulse buys. Any items that we do need (aside from groceries) I will try to purchase either at a discount store, or with coupons, or on sale or 2nd hand.
This will be a challenge, but I think I'm up for it! I'm tired of being wasteful and spendy. It's time to be thrifty and budget minded!!