Thursday, February 11, 2010

What I've learned as a Mother

I wrote this blog back in 2008 and have recently dug it out of the archives. It still rings true, so I'll share.

Here are some things that I've learned since having my two boys. They have changed my life completely:

1. I have learned to expect the unexpected.

2. I have learned to expect lots and lots of messes, and to expect not to be able to clean them up right away...and to live with that.

3. I have learned to laugh at life.

4. I have learned that it never hurts to ask for more when it comes to your child. (2nd or 3rd opinions, or more tests, or whatever.)

5. I have learned how good it feels to snuggle, and I have learned how sad it feels not to.

6. I have learned that no matter how sick or hurting YOU are, it doesn't feel as bad as how you feel when your little one is sick or hurting, and there's nothing you can do about it.

7. I have learned that animal crackers and mac&cheese are miracle foods.

8. I have learned to check behind the truck for toys before backing out of the driveway, because there could be a bicycle behind you. Also, be sure the spray paint is not left in reach of your children, because they may try to give your truck a paint job.

9. I have learned how to be still as stone; because no matter how badly you want to move, or have to pee or how much you want to scratch that itch....NOTHING is worth waking up that little one that you've been trying for hours to get to sleep.

10. I have learned the true meaning of stress, I have learned the true meaning of frustration, I have learned the true meaning of worry, I have learned the true meaning of exhaustion, and I have learned the true meaning of chaos, BUT, I have also learned the true meaning of Love!