Thursday, January 14, 2010

When it rains, it pours....

Yes, it rained yesterday. Yes, it's supposed to pour ALL of next week. For a spoiled SoCal girl, that is the absolute epitome of misery. That's no exaggeration either. I will be miserable. Add to it that The Hubs typically doesn't work in the rain, (you can't build new roads in the mud) and that makes it even worse. I end up giving myself an ulcer worrying about finances, and how there probably wont be a paycheck for the entirety of next week. (Wow... that's not really something that we are in a place to give up right now.)


I yearn for the warmth of summer. I crave the heat... I'm like a lizard on a rock; the heat doesn't bother me, up to about 110 degrees Fahrenheit. It honestly doesn't (as long as it's a dry heat, that is. I hate humidity.)

So yesterday, I awoke to the slapping of rain on my roof. For some people, it's a soothing, comforting sound. For me, it's dreadful. I had a knot in my stomach from the time I got out of bed. I felt really nauseous, but just figured it was the pregnancy. I didn't correlate it to that bad feeling in the pit of your stomach where you know something bad will happen. So, The Hubs calls and says he is rained out of work (no big surprise) and on his way home. I have a sick kiddo here at home, who's been home the whole week already, and the other one getting sick behind him. This cold that's going around is atrocious. And that was just the beginning of our terrible day. HOWEVER, for the first time ever, I think, I was able to say that I was glad my husband was home due to rain.
He is so good, so understanding, loving, supportive... calm. Exactly what somebody like me needs. He brings me down, usually in a good way. I tend to be a little on edge, I worry a lot, I'm into the details, and I try to plan ahead. It get's me high-strung and I know it. But he is typically cool, calm, and collected. He has taught me valuable lessons in life on how to just live and learn. Basically 'shit happens, crying over it wont change what is' and 'it is what it is'. So what to do? Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, learn from your mistakes and move on with your life (hopefully stronger and smarter). And so I have, and so I will. 'Stuff' does happen. It happens to good people. But getting through it is part of the journey. And as cliche as it sounds, what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

So, as many people are saying these days, now is the time to Simplify. I have been so blessed to have such a wonderful husband, 2 beautiful children (and one on the way), a cozy home to call our own, food on the table, and many loving family and friends. To me, those are the important things. The rest is just... stuff. I don't intend to dwell on the things we don't have... because we have each other. Instead, I am going to embrace each day and count my blessing for everything I do have. My glass is half full.

So, when it rains, it pours. But you know what? I sure do love the pretty flowers afterwards.