Monday, January 7, 2013

Let's talk about oatmeal

I like oatmeal. Quite a lot, actually. Do you?
I prefer the the big canister (like this) of oats that you make on the stove with a boiling pot of water. I love that you can customize it to what you want that day, and the price can't be beat.
However, I greatly appreciate the convenience of the pre-made packets... they are fast and easy, and sometimes that's just what I need.
So when Influenster sent me some Quaker Real Medley's in my Holiday VoxBox, I was very excited to sample it.

The flavor I received was the Peach Almond Oatmeal.

I prepared the oatmeal as directed on the package. It looked really yummy.
 It smelled really yummy.


 The convenience of the portable container can't be beat. Since it's in it's own container, you wont dirty a bowl. (I hate cleaning oatmeal bowls, LOL!)
As far as flavor... I found it to be lacking. I wish that I could give it a rave review, but honestly it wasn't incredibly flavorful, and the texture was relatively mushy. (You know how the packets are mushier than when you make it from the can?) It had the nuts and fruit in it, but then the oats weren't firm. So it was kind of an odd consistency. I feel like I could make a much more flavorful bowl of oatmeal at home.

This oatmeal has a whopping 290 calories in one cup. Not a huge value as far as I'm concerned. (For those of you on Weight Watchers, this one cup of oatmeal is 8 Points Plus. Ouch.)
Now, I don't mind spending 8 Points Plus on breakfast if it's something more than a cup of oatmeal. But this... not enough bang for my buck.
Check out the nutrition info:

After my taste test and evaluation of the nutrition info, it got me wondering what the retail price of these is. The next time I went to the grocery store, here was the display.
It looks like the price point for these ranges from 2/$3, up to $1.69-$1.99. Each. More than I care to spend on a single serving of oatmeal, so I wont be purchasing this in the future. I'll keep buying my big canister of oats and making them myself. Better for the waistline and the pocketbook.

Overall, on a five-star rating system, I'd give this product 2 stars. Great in the way of portability and convenience. Not so great in the areas of flavor, calories and cost.

Have you tried the Real Medley's? What did you think of them?

**DISCLAIMER: While I did receive free product for review, I did not receive any compensation for this review. All opinions expressed in this post are 100% mine.**
 
*********************************************************************
 Have you "liked" me on Facebook yet? If not, what are you waiting for? Get over there! 
Are you following My {Not So} Glamorous Life via Google Friend Connect or BlogLovin'
Don't miss any of the fun! All you have to do is click "follow" on that button over there on the sidebar. Or Follow my blog with Bloglovin. Just click here!! C'mon, you know you wanna! 
I can also be found on Twitter under the handle @MyNotSoGlamLife