Tuesday, July 24, 2012

DIY Laundry Soap (And you don't have to grate anything!)

Because I'm super cheap frugal these days, but don't have time for coupons, I've started making a lot of my own cleaners for around the house. One item I despise spending money on is laundry soap (another is trash bags, but I'm yet to find a remedy for that problem).
I made it my mission to make my own laundry detergent. BUT, I didn't want to deal with grating soap. Honestly, that's more work than I'm willing to put into it. Call me lazy if you will.
In any case, it didn't take me long to find a recipe for homemade laundry soap on one of the blogs I read regularly. You can check out the details and exact recipe here, but it is SO CHEAP and SO EASY to make this stuff! You only need a few ingredients: Borax, Washing Soda and Dawn Dish Soap (you can use other scents/varieties of Dawn, as long as they say dish washing soap and not hand soap), and water.
 I couldn't find Washing Soda anywhere near me, and wasn't willing to pay the price of it plus shipping from Amazon, but another one of the blogs I follow happened to have directions to make your own washing soda. So I did. Easy Peasy.

I will never, ever go back to buying laundry detergent again. Seriously. Aside from the easy and inexpensive perks of this formula, it's also a very effective cleaner. So, in less than 5 minutes, and for dirt cheap, I have a fabulous laundry detergent.
Maybe I should start giving it to family members as gifts. Okay, they may not LOVE that, but it's a thought.
Are you going to give this a try? I recommend that you do. Unless you want to keep spending the big bucks on laundry soap that is.
Now I just have to find someone to come fold and put away all of my lovely, clean laundry! Any takers??
*********************************************************************************
Have you "liked" me on Facebook yet? If not, what are you waiting for? Get over there!
Are you following My {Not So} Glamorous Life via Google Friend Connect or BlogLovin'? Don't miss any of the fun! All you have to do is click "follow" on that button over there on the sidebar. Or Follow my blog with Bloglovin. Just click here!! C'mon, you know you wanna!
I can also be found on Twitter under the handle @MyNotSoGlamLife