Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Letter to my "Little Boy" on his 5th Birthday

Dear Little Boy,
Happy Birthday my sweet boy! How is it that five years have already passed since your birth? It just doesn't seem possible. I remember so clearly the day that I found out you were growing inside of me. It was such a special day because my sister was having her 1st baby that day too. Our family was growing by the minute, and so full of love.

I remember my labor and delivery with you as if it were just yesterday.
My labor with you was long and hard. Thank God that the delivery was quick, because I was exhausted.
And when all the pain was over, and you were nuzzled up next to me, I felt so complete. You were mine.


Out of our three babies, you were the only one that "wasn't planned". But I would never say that you were an accident. Oh, no... you were desperately wanted. I just never thought that you would be mine. I didn't think I would be able to have any more babies after your brother. And then I was blessed with my surprise baby. You were also the only one out of my three that I got to hold immediately after birth. Both your brother and sister were taken to the other side of the room for various reasons, leaving my arms empty for too long. But not you... you were placed right on my chest. What a reward after all of that hard work! You were my only induced labor too, and that meant, my longest labor. And out of the three of you, you're the only one who doesn't have a "family name" or a namesake. I guess that you are the exception.
Over the years, it's been clear to everyone that you are a "Mama's Boy". It's true though. And you act so much like your daddy, it's no wonder you and I get along so well. You're my "Baby Boy". You are the last baby boy that will be mine. It's such a bittersweet idea. I love watching you learn and grow, but Oh! How I miss you being so tiny and squishy. I love that you still smoosh into me, so small. It's like your sweet little body just doesn't wanna outgrow your mama.
You are stubborn, and headstrong. You are silly and sensitive. You are loving, you are kind. You are a fabulous big brother, and an admiring little brother. You are incredibly carefree. I love that so much about you. You have grown into such a handsome boy. I often find myself looking upon you with wonderment that I could create such a sweet little person.
My heart has been blessed with so much joy because of you, and I can't imagine this world without you. I am so glad that you are my boy.

 So today, I want to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY as you embark on the adventure of your fifth year. The year where you'll start kinder and leave me 5 days a week. The year where you will start to "know things" and become so smart and such a know-it-all. The year where I will yearn for these young years to stay pure and innocent for as long as they can. Please don't stop being my baby. Please don't get too cool for me. I don't think that my mommy heart can handle it. And please know, that forever and always, I will love you more than you could ever understand.
Love,
Mommy


"Childhood is a short season."~Helen Hayes