Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Million Different Directions...

Catch up with me at any given moment, and it's likely that I'm running late (more on that later...), exhausted, and overwhelmed. I feel as if I'm being pulled in a million different directions and I just don't know where to start or what to prioritize.
Yes, I know, that's pretty much the case with any Stay at Home Mom. And truth be told, I do it to myself. When I anticipate having any free time at all, I find something else to consume it with. The Hubs asked me not too long ago why I always have to be burning my candle at both ends.
So here, I'm going to share what a typical week looks like for me in a nutshell.

Mon~ Kids up, fed, showered. Try to find time to go pee. Big boy walks to school, Little Boy dropped off at preschool. From Preschool I take Little Lady to Occupational Therapy, immediately followed by Physical Therapy, which ends just in time for me to pick up Little Boy from Preschool. Get the Little's home and feed them lunch while waiting for Big Boy to get home. Feed him lunch. Fight about homework. Fight over the computer. Mediate the boys. Put Little Lady down for a nap. Prep dinner. Eat dinner. Is homework done??? Kids down for an hour of quiet time. Tuck them in. Goodnight! (this day assumes there are no Dr. or Dentist appt's, or Little League games)

Tues~ Big Boy up, fed, showered. Try to find time to go pee. Big boy walks to school. The Littles get to sleep an extra hour on Tuesdays. I try to take advantage of an hour of "me time". Usually I waste it spend it on Pinterest. Get the Littles up and fed. Little Boy goes off to grandma's house while I take Little Lady to Occupational Therapy, immediately followed by Physical Therapy. Then home for lunch (sometimes out with Grandma). Little Lady get's a nap, Little Boy get's free time. Big Boy comes home from school a little late on Tuesdays, no need to feed him lunch. Fight about homework. Fight about baseball practice (he only wants to play games, not practice.) Off to baseball practice. Come home, scramble to get dinner cooked, fight about homework some more. Kids to bed for quiet time, followed an hour later by tuck-in. Goodnight! Wait... wasn't I supposed to fold that pile of laundry that's staring at me from the couch? Or clean the mess from dinner?

Wed~ Kids up, fed, showered. Try to find time to go pee. Big boy walks to school, Little Boy dropped off at preschool. Little Lady tags along with me while I go (ideally) to my Weight Watchers meeting. The meeting ends before Preschool is out, so I use this time to run errands or take a walk, or in today's instance, write a blog post. Pick up Little Boy. Pick up my niece at Kindergarten. Take her to Grandma's house. Go home, feed The Littles. Big Boy comes home. Feed him. Tidy up house. Work on "projects". Poke around the garden. Fight about homework. Fight over the computer. Mediate the boys. Put Little Lady down for a nap. Prep dinner. Eat dinner. Wash dishes. Kids down for an hour of quiet time. Then tuck them in. Goodnight! (this day assumes there are no Dr. or Dentist appt's or Little League games) STILL haven't folded that pile of laundry...


Thurs~ Big Boy up, fed, showered. Try to find time to go pee. Big boy walks to school. The Littles get to sleep late on Thursdays. I try to take advantage of an hour of "me time". Usually I waste it spend it on Pinterest. Get the Littles up and fed. Tidy up the house. Little Lady's Early Start teacher usually comes by for an hour and a half. Home for lunch. Little Lady get's a nap, Little Boy get's free time. Big Boy comes home for lunch. Fight about homework. Stare at the laundry that needs folding (still). Put a new load of laundry in the wash. Fold 6 articles of clothing. See a shiny object and get distracted from laundry. Scramble to get dinner cooked, fight about homework some more. Go to the grocery store to get tomorrow's snack for Preschool. Kids to bed for quiet time, followed an hour later by tuck-in. Goodnight! Wait... wasn't I supposed to fold that pile of laundry that's staring at me from the couch? Or clean the mess from dinner? this day assumes there are no Dr. or Dentist appt's or Little League games)

Fri~ (My most hectic morning of the week... ugh!)  Get up, feed/shower/dress kids. Big Boy walks to school. Drop Little Lady of at Grandma's, stop at 7-11 for a giant cup of caffeine Diet Pepsi to get me through my morning as a "Mommy Helper" at Preschool. Spend 3 hours with one fabulous teacher, a few other mommy's or daddy's and 20 crazy excited 4ish year olds! It is fun, but it is exhausting. And it reminds me weekly why it is good that I decided against pursuing a career as a teacher. After Preschool, the Little Boy and I come home for a while and wait for Big Boy.  Once he is home, and they are fed, we go to Grandma's house. I pick up the Little Lady while leaving the boys with her for a few hours. Come home and clean house, or run errands/grocery shop.  Pizza for dinner usually on Friday's, so we go out for a long relaxing dinner after The Hubs get's home.

Sat~ 2 Little League games, at varying times of day. Play/Work in the yard. Hang out with The Hubs. Maybe some shopping. Movie night,  or friends over for dinner.

Sun~ Rest! Ok, not really, but it sounded good. Somewhat lazy day of movies, TV that's on the DVR, housework or yard work and grocery shopping/meal planning if it hasn't been done.

Add to the above mix 2 more Little League games on weeknights, and usually (it seems) at least one Dr/Dentist/Therapy Assessment appointment per wee. And lately, our weekends are so jam-packed, they are less restful than the week. With no end in sight.

So... share with me a little about your hectic weeks!