Thursday, September 20, 2012

DIY Crib Mobile Makeover

 I've been trying to get my ducks in a row to post this for over a week now. I needed to take the photos and edit them a bit, and it just never seemed to happen for me. So today, I'm happy to finally be sharing this fun project with you!
My Little Lady turned 2 in July. For her birthday she got some "big girl" bedding, and moved out of her original nursery bedding. Even though she's still in a crib, it was time for a fun change. She got her new, bright and cheerful, bedding and the room also was touched up with several other fun accessories.
She really loves her mobile though, so I didn't want to take it away. But it just didn't match anymore.

I also wanted to enhance her view a bit. I always felt like her original mobile (as are many of them on the market) was designed more for the people looking at it from a standing view than for a baby laying underneath it, and what's the point of that?
This view sucks. What baby would want to look at this?

I just kept thinking that I'd find a more colorful one on clearance somewhere, or at the thrift store. That never happened. It finally occurred to me that I could give her existing mobile a makeover!
I went to the fabric store, chose a bright and fun fabric, and got to work. I started by removing the pieces from the original mobile. Easy Peasy. Then I spread out on the floor, and just kind of started winging it. I didn't have a pattern, I didn't sew, and I didn't measure. Because seriously, I'm kind of a lazy crafter who has time for that kind of stuff?

I was really happy with the way it was looking by this point. Little Lady was watching me from nearby, and she was showing her excitement already.
I had gotten these great little felt flowers on Etsy from Blessed to Create. The price was great, and the colors were perfect!
So after not so much time and money, I had a fabulous new mobile, that my little lady could still enjoy for a long time, was much more esthetically pleasing, and her view was better now too.
I think this project would be great for anyone who's expecting, and finds a random mobile at a sale, or as a hand me down. Super cheap, super easy, and totally customizable. What's not to love?

I'm sharing this over here (there's TONS of other awesome link ups there too!)
Becoming Martha
*********************************************************************************
Have you "liked" me on Facebook yet? If not, what are you waiting for? Get over there!
Are you following My {Not So} Glamorous Life via Google Friend Connect or BlogLovin'? Don't miss any of the fun! All you have to do is click "follow" on that button over there on the sidebar. Or Follow my blog with Bloglovin. Just click here!! C'mon, you know you wanna!
I can also be found on Twitter under the handle @MyNotSoGlamLife