Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Make Your Own Taco Pizza

Do you ever make homemade pizza's? We do, it's so fun for the kids and way cheaper than going to the pizza place!
One of our favorites from the local pizza place is Taco Pizza (actually, I think they have it called Mexican Pizza, but either way...). Usually at home we stick to the basics when we make our pizzas. Usually pepperoni, olives, sausage, onion. That type of toppings. But last week I wanted to offset some of our "no eating out" cravings, so I decided we'd try a Taco Pizza here at home. I also made a Pepperoni Pizza.

I had purchased the refrigerated, pre-made dough at Fresh & Easy. After I let the dough sit at room temp for 20 minutes, as per the directions. While the dough was sitting, I prepared my meat. I browned the ground beef, added 1/2 package of Chorizo (great way to add that little bit of spice and rich flavor!), and let that simmer on low for a bit while the flavors blended.



Once the dough had sat for a while, I went ahead and rolled it out on a floured surface. I then spread a relatively thin layer of refried beans onto the dough, and added a bit of sauce. While the sauce that I used this time worked fine, I think that next time, I would rather use a red enchilada sauce.
On top of the beans and sauce, I added my meat/chorizo mixture. Then I topped the pizza with shredded Colby Jack cheese, placed it on the baking tray, and popped it into the oven! (pre-made dough directions will vary depending on the brand. I simply followed the baking instructions on my package)
Taco Pizza on left. Pepperoni on the Right.

Once the pizza's were done baking, I added diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, a bit more cheese, and crushed tortilla chips to the top of the taco pizza.

 Then we just sliced it up and enjoyed it! The Hubs likes to add some jalapeno's to his after it's been cooked. If you cook them onto the pizza, there is no escaping the heat!!

************************************************************************* 
As always, I LOVE new Followers!  So please feel free to follow me via Google Friend Connect.
I would also be Super~Dee~Duper Excited if you would "like" me on Facebook.